Reader reviews and comments on The Greatest Generation, plus links to write your own review.

The Greatest Generation

By Tom Brokaw

The Greatest Generation

• Hardcover: Nov 1998,
    Paperback: May 2001,

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Greatest Generation

Kurtis E. Burcume (08/02/02)

This book will make you proud to be an american. It really makes you think of what life was once like and how things have changed. The many "heroes" who are discussed in this book also makes you come to the realization that one man, or women can make a differance. I must say that I am very impressed with the style in which Brokaw wrote the book which is centered mostly on ordinary people. The Greatest Generation should be made mandatory reading for all American history classes across the nation. Thank you.
Sam Ang (08/01/02)

I'm from Singapore and I've enjoyed reading the book The Greatest Generation. I've a lot of empathy for the tragedies, hardships and losses that those people went through during the war. I've read about the holocaust, including recently Steven Spielberg's The Last Days. Eye witness stories like these teach us how to appreciate the fact that we are a lucky generation to enjoy the peace that so many had fought and died for.
Sam Ang, S'poreText
Sarah (05/29/02)

This book hit the nail on the head-- World War Two did indeed produce the greatest generation that ever walked the earth. No society had ever produced such a giving, selfless, patriotic group, and it will never again be replicated. These people paved the way for many of us today, giving their lives so we could enjoy, and even underappreciate, the freedoms of everyday life. The individual stories in the book are moving, and they give keen insight into what it was like to be a member of this generation. I can honestly say it made me think about how much my life would be different if the greatest generation had not sacrificed for the country and its people. All I can think of to say, and this has been said many times but will have to suffice, is thank you. Thank you to the greatest generation, and thank you to Tom Brokaw, who wrote such a poignant and wonderful book.
megan (04/17/02)

i am being forced to read this book for my modern era history class. it is not abd book but i would be WAY more interested if it was just about the people. the first lke 20 pages is about brokaws life. i say read it but not all of it, you will fall asleep.Text
greg (04/13/02)

Brokaw is wrong. There is no greatest generation. Every generation has its heroes and its scoundrels. Every generation is as terrible as it is great. There is no easy way to list the pros and cons of all the generations and come up with any final result other than never-ending tedium. I will congratulate Mr. Brokaw on his ability to sell books. This one, however, is a wolf in sheeps' clothing. This book is a collection of inspiring true stories of the WWII generation. Some think these are stories of normal people doing extraordinary things. I think it is a marvelous collection of people being put in extraordinary situations. To go ahead and name the book, "The Greatest Generation" is a fantastic marketing strategy. Mr. Brokaw has collected stories and, by naming it in this fashion, has turned the whole book into a campaign for the WWII generation as GREATEST EVER. In the tradition of American politics and yellow journalism, Brokaw has faked out the American people by editing out the negative aspects of the generation. Had this been an argument for the WWII generation, people would have been more skeptical. Instead of saying he's out to prove anything he simply provides us with the dots to connect.
leni mathews (03/29/02)

I've always thought Tom Brokaw is a great reporter, but I never knew he was such a good writer.
I am not much of a reader, but I like this book because it gets to the point and does not drag along like other books.
The interviews in the book are very interesting.
What I like most about the book is the wonderful pictures......I loved the pictures.
John juan piere (03/05/02)

this is one of the greatest books i have read in my 85 years of living. i always wondered what it was like for those who didn't skip off to canada so that i couldn't be drafted. but im sure all is forgiven now.
Anonymous (08/12/01)

Richard A. Siggelkow
Mr. Brokaw accurately reflects, through first hand accounts, how American soldiers reacted to their WW II experiences. I am proud to be a member of the "greatest generation", and served 38 months as a lst Lt. and Captain in England, North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Corsica, France, and Germany in the European theater. I recently uncovered a long lost Journal about that overseas experience in which I included negative aspects, often too easily ignored, about some of our men. While not detracting from the positive impact of our American GIs, I objectively recorded instances of drunken behavior, venereal disease rates, and unfavorable episodes in foreign countries that did not always reflect positively on American troops. I also reported about many acts of good will and kindness towards children and civilians, providing balance and perspective. We should strive for complete accuracy as we review history; truthful detail enhances -- and does not overshadow -- the role and contributions of American troops that were so vital and important to our nation and the world.

The Search