Reader reviews and comments on Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, plus links to write your own review.

A Savannah Story

By John Berendt

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

College Student (11/08/06)

GREAT BOOK ABOUT SOUTHERNERS
I had to read this book for one of My college classes. I LOVED IT. This is how southern people are, We all gossip and we do elaborate (a little) stories. However, we are tactfully truthful. We would not say anything behind people backs that we would say to their faces. I thought this book was well written and really enjoyed. Plus I got an A on my paper.
LisaO. (07/26/06)

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Savannah/Tybee Island having been my families favorite summer getaway for years it was a joy to read such an enthralling story about a place that is so dear to me. The discriptions of the town that Mr. Berendt so perfectly dipictes, conjurs up the sights and sounds, smells and faces of Savannah to an exact likeness that it's like sitting on a park bench in one of the historical squares listening and watching these southern eccentrics instead of sitting in my chair at home in Atlanta reading. I am now reading it for the 2nd time and still laughing out loud.
chris (03/25/04)

I think the plot is strangley confusing

why does williams 'disappear' for 10 chapters, did he really murder?

There is a lot of psycho-sexual confusion, williams is obviously gay, danny is his boy. Chablis ? male or female ? What on earth is going on???

Is Savannha really SO full of strange and mysterious charactors ?

There appears to be racial tension / undertones not full explored or explained

left me with more questions than answers, some may like that, I, however, do not.

chris

Jan Bailey (07/10/03)

Before two weeks ago i had never read the book or seen the movie. A friend suggested since i was going to visit Savannah that i should read it. I went to the library and got the book on CD. We were blown away.... it was awesome. I love the way the characters are discribed. As soon as we arrived in town we rented the movie. After the book, movies are always disappointing......... but we still watched it and have become totally engrossed in the story. Im anxious to read something else by Mr Berendt.
Jeannine (09/21/02)

I heard from so many people what a wonderful book this is. I read it but didn't really enjoy it. I'm glad I saw Savannah before I read the book, because it certainly wouldn't make me want to go there. Lots of weird, strange people within the book's covers, but then they say "truth is stranger than fiction" and this is supposed to be true, isn't it?
john (03/27/02)

this is a superbely written book. it is a delightful mixture of both humor and intrigue

• Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...
  • Book Jacket: The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    by Gabrielle Zevin
    I feel like Gabrielle Zevin wrote this wonderful book, about a lonely New England bookstore owner ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois
  2.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it

P Your O C