Reader reviews and comments on The Da Vinci Code, plus links to write your own review.

The Da Vinci Code

By Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code

• Hardcover: Mar 2003,
    Paperback: Mar 2006,

There are currently 161 reader reviews for The Da Vinci Code

Sangfroid (04/24/04)

It is an interesting, intriguing, and well-written novel. I recommend reading this for two kinds of people. One is the patient kind wherein they will be able to grasp each chapter without necessarily rushing to the end. Patience is also needed in analysing and studying the nuggets of information presented in the book. I very well recommend it to those who are open-minded, especially the Christian/Catholic open-minded laity. It is bold and may be found challenging to the Church. However, listening, pondering and analyzing what Brown has presented may positively lead the reader in getting to know his or her faith.
Chris (04/21/04)

I too am astonished at how popular this book is. It is painfully predictable, the characters are dull, the pacing is agonizingly slow. The plot "twists" are often silly to the point of insult--I've been to the Louvre and used the bathrooms...Dan Brown's research isn't THAT good, obviously. Mr. Brown is clearly hoping Hollywood will turn this monstrosity into 90 minutes of vapid entertainment
Lauren (04/19/04)

This was an awesome book. This book is truly fiction and is very suspsenseful at time. I recomend very religious people not to read it and take offense in it and degrade thisw truly wonderful work.
Freddy (04/02/04)

The reading keeps you at the edge of your seat right up to the last page. If ever there were a book to recomment to all it is this one, A+++++++++ I am hooked and cannot wait to read Brown's other books.
Sharon L. (03/28/04)

I adore mysteries (especially nearly any book by Ruth Rendell), and some thrillers, but I thought this novel was almost unworthy of any rating at all, and it depresses me that it's such a huge best seller. It is based on some history--the Knights Templar, etc.--and some of the possibilities explored here are interesting, but the level of the writing is below poor. It has now been passed through our family, and nobody has liked it except as a point from which to launch their own investigations into some of the themes. Point is, the only things of interest aren't even original, but borrowed.
Emily (03/25/04)

This is an amazing book. Yes, it is a fiction book and I don't believe that Brown ever said that it was suppose to be non-fiction. The plot is amazing and I simply could not put the book down. I was literally up all night reading in anticipation of how it would all end. Anyone who likes a mystery will love this book, as long as they take it for what it is. A fictional work not the bible.
N. Moses (03/24/04)

Wow is this book bad! The author clearly has a very anti-religious agenda to push, so he creates one of the most implausible and ridiculous plots I've ever read, just so he'd have vehicle with which to share it. The characters are uninteresting, and the story is laughably outrageous. I had to force myself to finish it.
Bookmanjb (03/24/04)

I am AMAZED at this book's popularity. While it is true that there is lots of fascinating historical detail, the flat, implausible characters, unbelievably cliched dialog, the goofy plot coincidences and Deus ex machina's, and the INCREDIBLY BAD WRITING (bullets that "sail" over people's heads? PUH-LEEEZE. Every page had at least one howler, it seemed.) all combine to form one really bad novel. I had to force myself to finish this book because I figured there had to be an incredibly exciting climax for this drivel to have impressed so many people. I was wrong. If you thought this was a great thriller, well, all I can say is that you have worlds of delight ahead of you when you read a genuinely well-written, taut thriller. Try Robert Harris and continue upward you've reached the heights with Le Carre and Alan Furst.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove