Reader reviews and comments on The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency, plus links to write your own review.

The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency

By Alexander McCall Smith

The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency

• Paperback: Feb 2001,

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency

Muff (07/12/07)

great summer read
A friend had recommended this book and others in the series but I just wasn't interested. Some time later, I got the book on CD and loved it! It helped with the pronunciation of the names and I agree that Lisette is a wonderful speaker. I have read all of the books in the series and have enjoyed every one of them. I agree that the writing style is simple, but there are much deeper messages there if you take the time to think about it.
Robin (05/22/07)

different people
I was interested to read the really poor review that this novel got. Why would someone give the book a really poor review? I think it is because they just do not understand the story that is being told.

A colleague of mine worked in the Power Station in Botswana. He told me that the local Librarian did abortions in the Library, and that it was not unusual to see his bosses, very drunk on a Friday or Saturday night.

I have also had relations who lived in South Africa. I have heard stories about their House Servants, that would keep a British Social Work Department busy for years.

Underlying the apparent easy going nature of the novel is an awareness of the less pleasant aspects of life. I think that is something that a sixteen year old in Australia might not be aware of.
ahs students (11/14/04)

we also had to read it for english - to write a 800 word essay on it. it was a struggle to get past the first page. did someone say wtf!?..... zzzzz....
had not heard of book 'til had to read for english (11/06/04)

I found it quite interesting, but what annoyed me was little unfinished parts to the novel which i think were meant to leave the reader in suspence and wonder, but left me annoyed as i didnt know what had happened. The language was also a little simple for a year 11 novel i thought and did not challenge me at all. Quite good but could've been better.
kill me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (11/03/04)

this book has got to be the worst novel i have read in my life!!!!!!!!!! i too have to study it for english and find it extremely boring. it is not your typical detective novel and my 9 year old brother would have enjoyed it more than me. it is a childish representation of detectives and africa in general
-Kat, 16, Australia
Jojo Vinick (09/12/04)

I think this was an interesting read, one that I had to sit down and think about when I was done. The author really has a way of transporting the reader to Africa and showing them, the heart of the countinent, and Botswana as a whole.
PhyllisC (12/02/03)

This entire series is simply fabulous. The emotions displayed on every page are so real, so caring, so down-to-earth, so charming, and make us all wish to slow down and enjoy pumpkin more in our lives. I must give kudos as well to Lisette Lecat, the narrator of all four books on tape. She reads with such precision and clarity and her amazing accent brings the names and places to life. She is a master of narrating each voice with a slightly different tone. Highly recommended as a read or a listen.
Jaonie G (06/20/03)

A most enjoyable read. I loved the simple plot line, the language and word choice, and the values that permeate the text: I can feel Africa on every page, not just read a book set on the continent. I loved being immersed so gracefully in a different culture. The African equivalent of "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" with a twist of life's mysteries and simple joys. Absolutely lovely.

The Stranger on the Train
    by Abbie Taylor
    Night Film
    by Marisha Pessl
  • Book Jacket: Complicit
    Complicit
    by Stephanie Kuehn
    When seventeen year-old Jamie Henry receives word that his older sister Cate, is being released from...

The City
by Dean Koontz

Published Jul. 2014

1.  30Tomlinson Hill:
    Chris Tomlinson

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

O O T F P, Into T F