Reader reviews and comments on Clara Callan, plus links to write your own review.

Clara Callan

By Richard B. Wright

Clara Callan

• Hardcover: Oct 2002,
    Paperback: Dec 2003,

There are currently 7 reader reviews for Clara Callan

Jim Mann (02/26/07)

Fictional Towns
In Richard B Wright's book, he lists Whitfield as the Callan's birthplace.This exists, northeast of Shelburn on Regional 17. I can find no town of Linden in the area. He also mentions Uxbridge and other points South. The only town similar sounding is Lynden, near Dundas; which cannot be right. He says "the places are fictional, but why only Linden? All the others are on the Ontario Map......................Just wondering. Excellent story though. I picked it because of the title (the year I was born).I will have to read the 1908 book to check for similarities.
Merissa (01/07/05)

I truly enjoyed the book. Its difficult for me to get into books and this one had my attention right away. It was a very true feeling story. I felt like a fly on the wall watching the lives of Clara and her sister. I really enjoyed the book.
Kalenna (11/01/04)

I needed to pick an award winning book written by a Canadian author. I found the book to be very enjoyable and it made the mid to late 30's come to life for me. The further into the book I went the more I realized that the main charaters were extremely more complicated then I first thought. I throughly enjoyed reading this novel, but I found the Afterword to be a regression of the depth of character in Clara returning her to the distant and seemingly cold character she looked to be in the beginning of the novel.
katherine (10/12/04)

I read this book as part of my choice for a novel study in grade 12. I found this idea of writing letters back and forth, among journal/dairy entries to be very intelligent. you are able to hear the voice of all characters come through in their letters, and along with the letters and journal entries Clara really comes through as a strong character. I found this book to be very interesting, and an amazing read. the detail was great. :). I would suggest this to anyone who has the patience to appriciate each letter and entry.
m. handley (10/05/04)

I was required to read this book for an English class. Initially, I found it slow going, but as the story progressed I was drawn into the lives of the Callan sisters. It was a story of the country mouse versus the city mouse. Who was happier? The novel is done in diary form and also includes letters written and recieved by the sisters. This book feeds ones voyeristic guilty pleasures. You get to know these ladies on different levels from what they actually write to each other, and their fears and secrets that they write in their jounals. I enjoyed this book. The time the story is set in (mostly the 1930's) that adds interest. These women are dealing with problems that still exsist today, but they are in a different decade with different mores. It made me wonder what choices I would have made were I in their shoes.
Beckie (04/18/04)

This book was a required reading in a univeristy English course, and so happy to have had the opportunity to be introduced to it. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the Callan sister's and the unique aspects of their lives. Mr. Wright has accomplished an amazing task in his writing style and tone throughout the book. I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a great page turner.
Corie-Anne Gonyer (03/13/03)

This is a wonderful story told in an interestin and unique style. I loved it and this comming from someone who reads short stoies or almost reads nothin at all. It captures your attention and hlds on to it til the very end. It the kind of book that maked you feel uncomforable and uneasy while reading, that's what a good writer is suppose to make you feel. Congradulations on your success and if Mr. Wright's "Farthing Fortunes" is as any good as "Clara Callan" then I am in for a ride.

Mrs. Hemingway