Reader reviews and comments on The Secret Life of Bees, plus links to write your own review.

The Secret Life of Bees

By Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees

• Hardcover: Jan 2002,
    Paperback: Jan 2003,

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Secret Life of Bees

Anonymous (08/14/06)

This book was a good book not great not bad just good. It explains a life of a 14 year old girl but the girl has a couple different personalities. She can be mature but than can act like a 8 year old!
Kristen Duke (08/08/06)

Amazing! I wanted to rate this book 6 out of 5!!
Out of all the books I have read this is the best! I could not put it down "hold on let me finish this chapter then I'll eat". I had to chose a book to do a school report on and i picked this book hands down. I would reccomend this book to anyone. I am so happy that my English teacher reccomended The Secret Life of Bees to me. Lily is just sick and tired of eing piushed around by T. Ray her abusive father. Lily wants get away and find everything she can about her mother Deborah that was killed when Lily was four. Lily needs to find out whether or not she was the one who killed her mother. Rosaleen her "second-mother" gets arrested for "insulting" racists in Sylvan, South Carolina. Lily breaks her free and they run off. Lily and Rosaleen end up stay with the calander sisters, May, June, and August. They help Lily come to understand her mother and herself.
Heather Rowe (08/02/06)

Secret Life of Bees
I new going into the reading that it is a New York Times Bestseller, but I didn’t really have any expectations for the book. At first I wasn’t sure if I was going to particularly like the book but it ends up that I enjoyed it more then anticipated. The author does an exceptional job of using words that actually create an intense image in the reader’s head. I could actually imagine the era, 1964 due to the descriptions that she uses. I think this book can be used for more then a historical racial issue but it could also be used to show children that not all families are perfect. No matter how hard a child tries he/she cannot change what type of family they are brought up in. The author does particularly well at foreshadowing events that take place throughout the book. This book is an easy read and I would recommend this book to others.
Honey (05/18/06)

Some people.
this is one of my favorite books of all times, mostly because it has such strong female characters and the devasting issues going are horrible but easy to grasp. I love the symbolism with the bees.

On another note, people who rated it not very good and just said it was ok, well they probably don't read much anyway, This book lacked nothing, it was pure perfection another great book produced from a great author. I could've never written something that captivated the heart and soul of motherless child like that! Lily may have seem immature at time but so what, she is only 14, she isn't really 40 something like she says she felt the day she left home. It doesn't matter if it is realistic or not, that's why it is called fiction in the first place. If you don't like something is really a reason to post a review? And if you don't like and post a review try to be more creative then, this guy "This is one of the most over-hyped books that I've read in years. Lily, at times, seems to have the voice of a 10 year old, and not the mature 14 year old that she is supposed to be. Rosaleen is painted as child -with Lily making their important life decisions. The book tries to deliver an important message about the role of African American women in the South, but I think it fails miserably. With one-dimension characters and a contrived storyline, this book reads like a Hallmark card." Because that really proves nothing not matter how long it may be. Because the book is NOT about an african woman in the south. That's more like Their Eyes Were Watching God, this book was about a a teen girl trying to find her mother (plus if you had to do all that growing up by yourself I'd imagine you could have some childish moments) Also the person that said, "Simplistic, poorly edited, racist." Didn't get the book at all, something maybe simple and that is why you have to look deep within to find the true meaning. As for the racist bit, that had to do with the time period, it's history that is not the Authors fault. I don't really think editing is that important when it comes to a good book either. And lastly, the person that said, "It's alright for what it is but it aint all that." Really now, that's all you could come up with? Yes you are allowed to express your thoughts but there is a more professional way of doing so.
Coco (01/01/06)

Wonderful
i personally think this is a wonderful book. It does relate to the hard choices you have to make in ur everyday lives. the people who r writing bad reviews shouldnt write at all. if u dont like the book u shouldnt have read it.
Sophia (09/20/05)

Wow!
I am 12 years old, and I loved this book!!!! After my mom read it, she recommended it to me to use for my historical fiction book report. I thought it would be, well, just OK. Was I wrong!! I couldn't put it down- and finished it in three days!!
I am glad to say, this is one of the best books- out of many- that I have ever read. Now I can go to the book club with my mom and be a part of it. Yay!!
Katherine (05/30/05)

This is seriously one of the best books I have ever read. It's one of my summer reading books, and I thought it would be boring like my other ones. But I guess I thought wrong.
G.Dizzle (04/14/05)

Sweet Book!!!
Honestly this is the best book I've ever read and I don't read much. I think that everyone should read this book. My hat goes off to Kidd. this is a great book and it it one of those books that you don't ever want to put down. You go Sue!

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove