Read what people think about Indiscretion by Charles Dubow, and write your own review.

By Charles Dubow

• Published in USA  Feb 2013,

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Indiscretion

Donna T. (Tacoma, WA) (11/26/12)

Most improbable situations
Indiscretion is a book that I enjoyed but found some of the plot (especially toward the end) to be most improbable. The three quarters of the book kept me reading, even though I felt the story was mostly predictable. The characters were generally well developed and mostly believable. My biggest quibble is with the individual that was telling the story. I found him weak, at times unpassionate and I just don't believe the situation as it fully played out was realistic.
Judy W. (Tucker, GA) (11/25/12)

Indiscretion by Charles Dubow
Alas, another novel-same theme: "Man can't keep his pants zipped"! There was not much to the story to engage the reader. Forced myself to finish the book thinking surely something different would happen to the main characters. I would only recommend Indiscretion to those who enjoy a good, trashy read.
Roni S. (Pittsburgh, PA) (11/24/12)

Indiscretion
This is Charles Dubow's first novel and it is beautifully written with good character development. There are 4 main characters and one of them is the narrator. The reader cares about some of the characters. You feel their joy and their pain. Anyone interested in life in the Hamptons would enjoy this book but it also has a much wider appeal. Other settings include Manhattan, Paris and Rome. Some of the early parts of the book are very sensual. I will look forward to other books by this author. Of course, the title, "Indiscretion" tells it all.
Jean G. (Rockford, IL) (11/16/12)

an age old discussion
This book reads very elementary in subject and simplistic in style and diction, one I first thought of as an inconsequential beach read. It is saved by the clever appearance of the narrator who has an integral part in the story along with his occasional narration. This provides some much needed depth into the actions of the characters who on the whole remain one-dimensional throughout. Predictable events take place and most of the emotion drawn out of the reader comes from the narrator's ability to surprise. There are consequences in the lives of the characters that create fodder for discussion. A modern story involving the twists and turns of life. Easily read and a good read for book clubs.
Sarah N. (Corte Madera, CA) (11/12/12)

I couldn't look away...
Indiscretion kept me wanting more and terrified of where it was going to take me. As a married woman, I am always fascinated and repelled by the thought of such indiscretions. I was thrilled by the fact that I thought I knew where the book was taking me but then didn't. I will put Charles Dubow on my list of "must read" authors for when his next book comes out.
Laurence O. (Phoenix, AZ) (11/12/12)

No Discretion Needed to Enjoy Indiscretion
I will admit, after about 30 pages I was ready to return the book--it was so slow and somewhat trite. However I am the type of person who has never walked out of a movie. I was not enjoying and never put down a book I started to read, but didn't enjoy.

I am so glad I read the next 20 pages--it captivated me. Charles Dubow does an excellent job developing the characters and you love the 6 major characters. The book is a great read for hopeless romantics and those that ponder what we do while we are here in this universe.

Dubow artfully takes you through and you experience all the emotional highs of the great, happy moments and the depths of the negative and sad moments.

Great for a book group or club--so much to discuss.
Melissa Y. (Knoxville, TN) (11/11/12)

Predictable
There were no surprises in this book. No twists and no turns - nothing that left me guessing or even caring about the outcome. The sequence of events and consequences were totally predictable. I managed to make it through the book but I will not be recommending it to my reading friends.
Shirley D. (Amherst, MA) (11/11/12)

A Tug at the Heart.
Ever been at a gathering where you knew no one nor were familiar with their privileged lifestyles?
But you decided to stick it out for a time anyway. This is how the beginning of INDISCRETION felt – not easy to get started. Yet as in life we usually (and if you continued reading) adjust and find that in this crowd of strangers, some quickly became familiar. It was thus with Walter and Claire, Maddy and Harry. Once we slipped into their lives, their problems, their highs and lows were understandable. Depending on your own life experiences, one person may stand out, become an individual you won't forget long after the story ends. Through the skill of the writer, these seem to be real "people" with real lives. You will care and this novel will tug at your heart.

• Book Jacket: Hyde
    by Carol Cassella

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place

P Your O C