Beyond the BookAccording to the prozac.com website:
- Prozac has been taken by more than 54 million people since its introduction in 1986, making it the most widely described anti-depressant medicine in history.
- More than 18 million Americans suffer from some type of depression, and one in eight persons need treatment for depression during his or her lifetime.
- Depression is a recurring illness. If you have one episode there is a 50% chance of another, if the recurrence rate increasing with the number of episodes.
- Untreated, depression can last up to 6 months or longer.
- An estimated 15% of people with chronic depression commit suicide.
- Due to the social stigma still surrounding...