Giles Milton Biography
British writer and journalist Giles Milton was born in Buckinghamshire in
1966. He has contributed articles for most of the British national newspapers as
well as many foreign publications, and specializes in the history of travel and
exploration. In the course of his researches, he has traveled extensively in
Europe, the Middle East, Japan and the Far East, and the Americas.
Knowledgeable, insatiably curious and entertaining, Milton locates history's
most fascinatingand most overlookedstories and brings them to life in his
He lives in London, where he is a member of the Hakluyt Society, which is
dedicated to reprinting the works of explorers and adventurers in scholarly
editions, some of which he uses in his research. He wrote most of
Samurai William in the London Library, where he loves the "huge reading
room, large Victorian desks and creaking armchairs". At home and while
traveling, he is ever on the lookout for new untold stories. Apparently he began
researching the life of Sir John Mandeville for his book The Riddle and the
Knight after Mandevilles book Travels "literally fell off the shelf
of a Paris bookstore" in which he was browsing.
- Nathaniel's Nutmeg: How One Man's Courage Changed the Course of History
- Big Chief Elizabeth: How England's Adventurers Gambled and Won the New World
- The Riddle and the Knight: In Search of Sir John Mandeville
- Samurai William: The Adventurer Who Unlocked Japan
- White Gold: The Extraordinary Story of Thomas Pellow and North Africa's One Million European Slaves.
- Edward Trencom's Nose: A Novel of History, Dark Intrigue, and Cheese
- Paradise Lost: Smyrna 1922
- According to Arnold: A Novel of Love and Mushrooms
- Call Me Gorgeous
- Zebedee's Zoo
- Wolfram: The Boy Who Went To War
This biography was last updated on 07/23/2011.
A note about the biographies
We try to keep BookBrowse's biographies both up to date and accurate. However, with over 2000 lives to keep track of it's inevitable that
some won't be as current or as complete as we would like. So, please help us - if the information about a particular author is out of date,
inaccurate or simply very short, and you know of a more complete source, please let us know. Authors and those connected with authors:
If you wish to make changes to your bio, please send your complete biography as you would like it displayed so that we replace the old with the new, including your website URL if relevant.